Wednesday, January 6, 2010

I'm Impotent

Only one week into 2010 and I already feel a little sluggish. Is it just me? Went back to the gym for the first time in a couple of months...big mistake, very depressing. This usually doesn't happen until late January or mid February, but it seems like I'm quickly losing the motivation for all my new year aspirations. What's going on?!!

This morning as I tried to figure this out the Lord reminded me of the simple fact that when it comes to bringing real change in my life I am impotent. There is absolutely nothing of my own power or resolve that can birth or sustain anything truly alive. I saw this in the life of Abraham (reading about him right now in the One Year Bible). God had begun to make extraordinary promises to him. Abraham was successful and wealthy. However, there was one thing he had no power to do...bring forth life. "O Sovereign Lord, what good are all these blessings when I don't even have a son?" (Gen 15:2)

Only God can bring forth life. He alone is the source of any real, lasting life-giving change. Our part, like Abraham's was, is to continue to surrender our lives, and walk in simple trust and obedience. This is so hard sometimes! It's much easier to work our own thing. It can even feel really spiritual too. The problem is it's impotent. It will never produce life.
"Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit gives birth to spirit." (John 3:6)

What do you need to surrender?
Where do you need to trust him?
Are you living in obedience?

No comments:

Post a Comment