Monday, January 4, 2010

Foolish Confession Pt 2

With every new year comes the chance to restart, refocus, re-prioritize, release, and receive. Over the past few years it’s been a great opportunity for me personally to reflect on what I’ve learned (or haven’t learned) and look forward with fresh vision and anticipation, probably due in part to my birthday falling on the second day of the year. As we step into 2010 I find myself turning the big 30, and making a rather odd new year’s resolution. This year I want to be more foolish.


Yep, that’s right. I want to be more foolish.


I’m asking God for the courage to be more foolish for his sake. To dream bold and ridiculous dreams that I have no way of fulfilling on my own, pray raw and miracle-dependent prayers, practice undignified worship, live unashamed of the truth, and most importantly act in foolish obedience. In short, I want God to use my life anyway he pleases and to his fullest glory, and I don’t want my pride, fear of failure, or anyone else’s opinion getting in the way.


A quick survey of Scripture reveals that it isn’t talent, good looks, winning charisma, skill, or even experience that God requires, but more often than not, a foolish obedience. Noah builds an ark because “rain” is going to fall from the sky and flood the earth. A fugitive shepherd named Moses demands the release of a free labor force from one of the great world powers because God says so. An orphan girl named Esther saves her people from certain disaster. An overlooked errand boy named David becomes a great warrior and king. Of course there was also Gideon, Deborah, Daniel, Mary, the disciples, the Apostle Paul...And the turning point in all of history when Jesus willingly gave His life to be crucified had to be considered foolish.


I wonder if what keeps many of us from seeing and living the miraculous is an unwillingness to look foolish? My experience has been that when God speaks to me about something the hold up usually isn’t because I’m unclear about what God is saying (even though I sometimes pretend it is...God is that really you?), but rather my attempt to salvage my own reputation. I just don’t want to look stupid. Because...


What if it doesn’t work?

What if I missed God?

What if it’s a terrible idea?

What if this person totally rejects what I’m trying to do for them, and thinks I’m crazy?

What if I sound like a dork?

What if no one shows up?


But consider that, in the end, those who change the world choose obedience over logic...Faithfulness over success...Foolishness over their own reputation. I’m convinced that the quicker we get over ourselves (and I mean really get over ourselves) the more we’ll see Him. Some advice?


Be foolish.

No comments:

Post a Comment